LGBTQ+ Lesson Plans
We are looking for 3 lesson plan writers and 3 lesson plan reviewers to create lessons that align with the LGBTQ history in the California History Social Science Framework that can be taught online via distance learning. Each lesson plan must be in a common format. We are looking for lesson writers so that when completed, we have one lesson plan for elementary, middle and high school. This project is funded through the CLIC History Social Science project. Other educators are writing other distance learning lesson plans at the same time.
Writer / Reviewer Requirements: Currently teaching in California
Lesson Topics Requested:
Grade 8: Focus on slavery (family life or Reconstruction after the Civil War) or the Fourteenth Amendment.
See HSS Framework, Chapter 12, Grade 8, pp. 269-270.
Grade 11: Focus on the Harlem Renaissance or some aspect of the 1950s (Lavender Scare).
See HSS Framework, Chapter 16, Grade 11, pp. 392-393. Or p. 41-411.
Timeline and Scope of Work
- November 1: Lesson Writers Selected. Lesson writer determines lesson topic.
- December 1: Draft lessons reviewed and feedback submitted by reviewers.
- December 15: Lesson reviewer completes review and consults with coordinators
- January 15: Lesson completed
- January: Complete joint webinar to talk about the lessons / recording.
– Lesson Writer: $600
– Lesson Reviewer: $200
More Info / Contact People/Coordinators:
LGBTQ History Month is every October. Join the fun!
- Teacher Workshops: Oct 6 and 13: Drag, Enslaved People and the Civil War; Oct. 20 and 27: Gender and World War II ; Oct. 22: the FAIR Ed Act.
- Teach an LGBTQ history lesson
- Join the LGBTQ History Month 2020 Challenge #LGBTQHistoryChallenge and invite others to join you so you can play our trivia game at the end of the month. Create a video and challenge others with the hashtag, #LGBTQHistoryChallenge. Various graphics to share: pdf * jpg *Google Draw
- Encourage students to attend the Queer and Allied Student Summit on Sat. Oct. 10.
- Share the LGBTQ History Month Calendar: pdf * jpg *Google Draw.
- See the LGBTQ history month events taking place around the state – all online so you can join from anywhere.
- Read the document: Creating an LGBTQ+ Inclusive Online Space
See all of the October 2020 LGBTQ+ Month Events
Are you wondering how to make your online space inclusive for all students and especially for LGBTQ+ students? Join us for this webinar on September 10 to hear our promising practices. We will be discussing our recently released document, “Diversity Practices for Teaching Online (2020)”. Also hear about our plans to celebrate LGBTQ History Month 2020 and how you can participate. Register here for the September 10 workshop – 3:30-4:30.
Prior publications you may find useful:
We want to highlight and connect all of the outstanding educators who are teaching LGBTQ History in California. If you are teaching LGBTQ History or know others who are, we invite you to join our LGBTQ History Network by completing this form. We will be sending out occasional updates.
We will have some exciting announcements soon about our 2020-2021 professional learning activities for educators.